First Baptist Branford is a member of the Southern Baptist Convention and holds to the Baptist Faith and Message 2000, a detailed statement of faith. This statement is comprehensive and provides numerous scripture references for the different areas of faith. A study of the Bible verses called out in this document can be helpful starting point for the development of a Biblical understanding of many different issues and is recommended.
Below is an abbreviated “quick-reference” to a number of values that are vital to our understanding of Scripture and the role of the Church. The list below is not exhaustive and has been used by other churches of like faith.
- We value the authority of Scripture,looking to the Bible as the inspired, inerrant word of God to direct us in all pertinent matters of belief and behavior.
2 Timothy 3:16; 2 Peter 1:20-21; Isaiah 40:8
- We value Bible exposition,regarding accurate and relevant teaching and preaching of the Scriptures as essential to the spiritual vitality of our church.
2 Timothy 4:1-4; Matthew 28:18-20; Acts 2:42
- We value the meeting together of the local Church,certain, by the testimony of Scripture, that the Church is the Body of Jesus Christ, the means by which God’s message will come to the entire world, and the defender of the Truth of God’s Word. All believers are called to faithful and meaningful ministry within the local Church body.
Colossians 1:18, Ephesians 1:18-23, 3:10, 5:24-31, 1 Timothy 3:15, Hebrews 10:23-25, 1 Corinthians 12, Romans 12
- We value prayer,recognizing our church’s desperate need for God to guide, equip, and empower the church to accomplish its ministry aspirations.
Acts 2:42; 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
- We value discipleship,convinced each person in our church is called to follow Christ wholeheartedly and to help others do the same.
Luke 9:23; Titus 2:1-6; 2 Timothy 2:2
- We value evangelism,persuaded that people who do not know Jesus Christ as Savior are now separated from God and in danger of eternal condemnation.
Acts 1:8; 2 Corinthians 5:19-20; Matthew 28:18-20
- We value financial responsibility,humbled by the faithful giving of our people and convinced of our duty to be above reproach in all financial matters.
1 Corinthians 16:1-2; 2 Corinthians 8:19-21; 9:6-8
- We value compassion,fully aware of God’s call upon our church to meet the various and pressing needs of our community.
James 1:27; Galatians 2:10
- We value a well-mobilized lay ministry,realizing our greatest ministry aspirations will be accomplished through the Spirit-led efforts of our people.
Ephesians 4:11-13; Titus 2:3-5; 1 Peter 2:9-10
- We value community,believing that true spiritual growth happens best in the context of transparent, authentic relationships.
Proverbs 27:17; Acts 2:46
- We value missions,understanding our church’s great responsibility to train ministers and laity worldwide to be more effective in ministry.
Matthew 28:18-20; 2 Corinthians 5:19-20; Acts 1:8